#19 Go snowboarding with my siblings

 
The original plan was to go canoeing with my siblings. It's something we used to do now and then with my parents, camping and canoeing. I have nothing but fond memories of delicious meals, superb sleeps in our big tent, and fake paddling while letting my brothers do all the work. I traded this wish in for another magnificent one: snowboarding with my brothers. Despite having grown up with annual ski trips to Switzerland and France I only learned to snowboard after moving to Canada. So it was only right that when I went back to Europe for a visit home I finally joined my brothers on a snow trip. An unfortunate fall in my kitchen two days before leaving and the resulting fractured jaw almost ruined my plans. But in true Marieke-style I pushed through and rode the mountains anyway, under the watchful eye of my brothers. The snow was terrible (a vertical ice rink with zero grip), the painful falls and subsequent bruises plentiful, but the company sublime and the atmosphere unforgettable. So much so that my parents decided to reinstate the annual snow vacations. Maybe next time I'll try to start the trip fracture-free though.






0 comments:

Post a Comment