#91 Aaron: Go on a motorbike ride

Originally this post was called 'Go on a motorbike ride and have a picnic'. Given that my brother and I went on a full-on roadtrip across five countries, I think we probably had the picnic part covered. After a wonderful family weekend in the Ardennes my brother and I jumped on his Honda Transalp something something (I think that's what it's called) and headed from Belgium to Manderscheid in Germany for our first night of camping. I was a little apprehensive at first, had only been on the back of a motorcycle a handful of times and my brother had only started driving this particular something something bike a few days before our trip. The minute we left however I was right at ease, being seriously impressed with his driving skills and the comfort he had created on the back seat. We successfully set up camp that first night, despite having a pegless tent - thank you trees for letting us use your branches as pegs - and head out for some food and beers (Bitte ein Bit, please and thank you). Next morning, all packed, ready to go, turned out we have a flat. Luckily my brother is clever as me (yes yes yes) and had taken out extra roadside assistance with his insurance. Time for a beer me thinks, while waiting for the tow truck, responsible Aaron drinks a coffee. After spending an afternoon in an industrial area outside a random German city we hit the road again, in the direction of Rursee, in the Eiffel mountains. The roads are spectacular, the scenery ever changing and the company the best ever. It might have taken my brother and I a couple tries to get our traveling spirits in line, but now they are and boy oh boy are we good at it. We camped by rivers in the mountains, went for hikes in the afternoon, crossed the longest suspension bridge in Germany (on foot - no bikes allowed), chatted, laughed, had some drinks, ate ice cream... Eventually we made our way back to Belgium, crossing through the Netherlands, taking a small ferry to cross a river with a pub on the other side (Kessel) and continued on homewards, where we took a quick break to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday (Happy Birthday awesome mamsie!). Once the party was over, and the hangover slightly reduced, we hopped on the bike again, this time heading to my brother's home in Switzerland. Scenic roads with views I could have never fathomed, cruising along Lake Geneva was extraordinary. My favourite part was probably the moment when we crossed into Switzerland, after eight hours of driving (serious bum pain at this point). My brother turned around to me and said: 'I think I left my house keys at our parents'. I almost fell of the bike laughing. As we continued our journey passed Lake Geneva into the Wallis valley, the sun set behind the mountains and I was mesmerized by the little lights scattered throughout houses high up in the mountains. We finally made it to the tiny village of Gampel, Aaron's hometown. He did in fact forget his keys but luckily his landlady had a set of spares. The next couple of days were spent exploring the mountains and sharing memories about past travels, about Kerry, and making plans for more travels. An unforgettable trip. I couldn't have done it with anyone else. It means the world to me that Aaron continues to carry Kerry in his heart, as he did since the first time they met. Seriously, my brother is amazing. As was this trip. 

The. Suit. (That I did not wear)
Our first morning: a flat. 
Better go have a drink while we wait for the tow truck then.
Nothing stands between us and a pub, not even water. 
Disclaimer: the keys were not in the ignition
No direct route? No problem, we'll just draw one on the map.

Best morning view. 
Queen of my castle!
Break time at Lake Geneva
No caption will ever caption this memory. 
Seriously, this guy! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment