I'm by no means an artist and I never really consider myself to be creative. But I do like to fiddle with a project now and then. My cousin Niki and I will often go to the local pottery place to paint some ceramics. It has resulted in a fine collection of colourful mugs and bowls. For this wish I wanted to try something different. I saw this thing about rain art in a TV show once and five minutes and some Googling later it turned out to be a true thing. I jumped across the border to the U S of A to purchase the mystical invisible spray and started working on a stencil. Many late nights later - cutting out an entire poem with a single exacto knife is a lot more time consuming than I had anticipated - my stencil was ready. All that was left was waiting for a two-day period without rain right before the rainy season. So one sunny afternoon in the middle of October I finally got to work, cleaning the surface, weighing down the stencil with rocks and then the light spray. An actual artist even walked by and asked me all about the project! I definitely want to do more of these, but maybe a poem with less letters.
PS This poem by Nayyirah Waheed always brings me peace. And brings me to Kerry.

0 comments:
Post a Comment