#42 Learn a poem by heart

I'm pretty sure I got this idea from someone else's list, because I'm not really into poetry. I have to say however that I was happily impressed with its effect. Not only did it introduce me to some wonderful poems shared by my closest friends, but it also kept me entertained every morning while brushing my teeth. Say what?! Well, I decided the best way to learn something by heart and really retain it was to practice it on a daily basis. And where do we all spend lots of time on a daily basis? You guessed it: the bathroom. So I wrote my favourite poem - I carry your heart by E.E. Cummings - on my mirror and practiced it over and over again. It only took me a day or three to fully memorize it, but I continued to recite it for several weeks. And here's the other surprising part. It turned out to be such a calming activity that whenever I'm stressed, or scared, or sad, or overwhelmed, the simple act of reciting the poem helps me feel grounded. Like a mantra almost. I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart...

Here are some favourite poems by my favourite people...




0 comments:

Post a Comment