#74 Send my favourite quote into the world

So I have a lot of favourite quotes, hence I was a little concerned about finding 'the one'. In the end, I found two. The first one comes from the wonderful author Nayirrah Waheed. This is what she writes:

I am your friend. A soul for your soul. A place for your life. Home. Know this. Sun or water. Here or away. We are a lighthouse. We leave and we stay. 

No matter how often I read this quote, it always brings me peace. So on New Year's Eve, that is the one I sent into the world, floating away on a piece of driftwood along the beautiful Sunshine Coast. 

Funnily enough I didn't find the second one, it found me. When I was doing my writing course in January 2016, one of the other writers in my group mentioned a plaque she had once seen on a walk by Arrow Lake. This is what she wrote:

"We stumbled upon a tiny, clapboard one room chapel nestled in the woods above us. On the wall by the entrance, was a small plaque that I hiked up to be able to read. It was a tribute to loss and love by an unknown author. It was beautiful in its simplicity and I knew whoever wrote it was expressing a profound belief in the impenetrable ties of love"

As I was reading this, all of a sudden it hit me: I had seen that exact same plaque two years ago, when I was on a hike with my mom, the first year I had moved to Canada. I remembered taking a picture and sending it to my friend Olivia, who had lost her mom some years before. And now, this plaque, these words, had found its way back to me. Instantly I decided that these would be the words I would send into the sky, to Kerry. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment