So being a pretty healthy eater I thought that this challenge was going to be piece of cake. Little did I know. First I had to research what exactly constitutes as non-processed or real food. Some people are more strict in their definition than others but I decided to follow the kitchen test, which means that if you can make it in your own kitchen, given the right tools, it passes as non-processed. This meant no soy sauce (sad face), no vanilla yogurt (boo plain yogurt), no baking powder in recipes (bye bye breakfast cookies)...
So what did I eat or use in recipes?
So what did I eat or use in recipes?
- veggies: cucumber, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, tomato, avocado...
- fruit: bananas... yes really
- organic meats: chicken mostly
- quinoa (lots of it), couscous...
- peanut butter, tahini (delicious with cacao for a spread), maple syrup, oats, spelt flour, yeast, raw coconut oil, milk (non pasteurized)
I made delicious carrot pancakes for breakfast, got creative with quinoa salads, got lazy with banana cacao smoothies and indulged in fava bean pea soup with tarragon.
And of course I cheated. For two very valid reasons. One; I got too busy and didn't prepare properly resulting in a lack of time to really make things from scratch (I used vegetable stock in a soup, a cube, the kind that's definitely processed). Two; I went out for food on two occasions in which case it was impossible to stick to non-processed foods (Really, do you want to deny yourself things when going to the Oakwood in Kits??). My partner in crime Meaghan also (continuously) reminded me of the importance of being flexible. So I was.
Overall I do think I did pretty well. And what I took from this challenge is to always read the label, if there's more than two or three ingredients on there that sound chemical, it's probably not the best for you. I felt a lot less tired during this challenge so clearly those processed ingredients have some effect on me. But everything in moderation (see, I do listen Meaghan), and never ever am I denying myself ice cream again. Stupid idea.
If you want some ideas or simply read more on this, check out these links:
0 comments:
Post a Comment