#15 Go surfing abroad


I have always been drawn to surfing. Something about learning to ride the waves, reading the ocean, letting go of your fears. Surprisingly, my biggest fear in life is drowning. Smart people would probably choose to pursue another dream. Not me. My determination - Kerry would call it 'stubbornness' - won from my fear in this one. To celebrate the official start of the list I met up with my bestie Olivia in Nicaragua. Isabelle, an amazing surfer and friend from Belgium who has been living there for three years now, gave us our first lesson in the white (less scary) waters of Popoyo. Paddle, paddle, paddle… POP UP! Yes, There I was, on my feet on a surfboard. The next day things didn't go quite as planned. A big wave came crashing down right on top of me. My board went up, I went down, gashed my chin open and injured my back. I was terrified. Isabelle pulled me out. Breathe. Much to my own surprise I tried again the next day, and the next. I still have a lot to learn, letting go of my fear being the number one priority. It's a work in progress but I am hopeful. And a little bit proud.
0 comments:
Post a Comment