#5 Bioluminescent Swimming
My parents are avid kayakers and always talked about paddling in the bioluminiscent waters, which in Belgium only occur now and then. The fluorescent glow in the water is caused by tiny organisms like plankton and some sort of chemical reaction. It creates blueish-green sparkles in the water. I had been wanting to paddle in it myself for years now and managed to convince Kerry to put it on our weekend list. In Vancouver it's rather tricky to determine when the glow will be around, but while in Colombia I came across a plankton tour at night so I just had to try it. I took a bus from Cartagena to Playa Blanca, where I took a small boat to a nearby lagoon with a bunch of strangers that I could not see because it was pitch black outside. An eery experience overall. Once we got to the lagoon, we all jumped in the water and turned into giant giggling glowworms. It was a magical experience and the water was so nice and warm. Granted, the picture doesn't show anything, but I highly recommend it for anyone who's ever in the Playa Blanca neighbourhood.
0 comments:
Post a Comment