#51 Go see a show in the local high school, I mean local theatre

When I first moved to New West, I started exploring my new neighbourhood and got excited when I found the local high school had a theatre, the Massey Theatre. I decided I would walk there one day and go see a show. But then I moved and the new local high school no longer had a theatre. Luckily, there is an actual theatre, the York Theatre, just a few blocks from my new house. And when I saw they were bringing a Belgian production, from my university town of Ghent of all places, it was clear: this was the spot for wish #51. Kismet truly. Because the play was about a young guy who takes care of his mom in the last days of her life. It was sad but happy at the same time, as the main (and only) actor shared memories of his mom and performed magic tricks (really!). He approached the matter of life and death from a physics point of view, as his mom had been a physicist. He described how over seven billion (million? lots...) particles (atoms?) had simply decided one thing: they wanted to be his mom, selflessly. And then one day, the atoms decide to walk away, just like that, and they turn into something else. Titus De Voogdt captured it more eloquently of course, but I was too mesmerized by his play to memorize the lines. As if the play itself wasn't enough, I also got to chat with him afterwards, and met a fellow Belgian in the row behind me. Such an exciting afternoon. Looking forward to seeing many more shows at the York Theatre. Oh right, the play was called 'The History of the World (Based on Banalities)'. Maybe you can catch it when they're in New Zealand next.


0 comments:

Post a Comment