Favorite piece: The entrance hall. Plus finally seeing Duchamps Fountain (read: a urinal with his signature on it), yet not being allowed to take a picture of it.
Favorite moment: Meaghan dancing to a Wonder Woman video and her head (seemingly) exploding. Way to create my own MashUp at a MashUp exhibition!
#2 Stam, Gent (Belgium) - with Olivia, Baudouin, little V and Franklin
Favorite piece: Part of the permanent collection on the history of the city of Ghent involves an experiment regarding a new societal form, complete with new rules and infrastructure. So many amazingly fresh, yet seemingly straightforward ideas. I could have spent the entire day in this part of the exhibition.
Favorite moment: Exploring the dragons with little V and Franklin. Really, any excuse to act like a kid.
#3 Monet @ Vancouver Art Gallery - with Niki
Favorite piece: This one on the left here, where I could happily sit, just staring into the painting, straight into Monet's garden. I'm not an artsy person by no means, but this just blew me away.
Favorite moment: see above :-)
#4 Beaty Biodiversity Museum - with who do you think... Niki of course
Favorite piece: Giant blue whale skeleton in the lobby. It really was the only piece I liked. We came here because they had this digital colouring thing advertised, something about Canada's ecosystems. Really it was two giant colouring pages on the wall with only five different markers to choose from. slightly disappointing. Also not a fan of dead fish in jars or stuffed animals behind a glass wall. I'm sure there's an audience for these things, but not me, no sir thank you.
Favorite moment: Is it bad to say leaving the museum was my favorite moment?
#5 Museum of Anthropology - with Meaghan, you know, my other partner in crime
Favorite piece: Really the entire museum was my favorite piece. I enjoyed learning more about indigenous arts from the Amazon and their continuous struggles with protecting their homes and with that some of the world's most precious ecosystems. The hammocks that were part of this exhibit weren't bad either. I was equally intrigued by the way they presented art made by local indigenous people, giving them a voice, having them explain what artifacts signify for them, both historically and now. Objects have so much more meaning than a mere functional one for these people, a simple thing like a wooden spoon tells a story, passed on from generation to generation. Fascinating really. Can you tell I totally geeked out at MOA? :-)
Favorite moment: The interactive calligraphy wall in the Traces of Words exhibit. As you might have guess, I love anything interactive but this really blew me away. You touched a sign with your shadow on this giant video wall and it changed into a visual display of its meaning. I never wanted to leave.
#4 Beaty Biodiversity Museum - with who do you think... Niki of course
Favorite piece: Giant blue whale skeleton in the lobby. It really was the only piece I liked. We came here because they had this digital colouring thing advertised, something about Canada's ecosystems. Really it was two giant colouring pages on the wall with only five different markers to choose from. slightly disappointing. Also not a fan of dead fish in jars or stuffed animals behind a glass wall. I'm sure there's an audience for these things, but not me, no sir thank you.
Favorite moment: Is it bad to say leaving the museum was my favorite moment?
#5 Museum of Anthropology - with Meaghan, you know, my other partner in crime
Favorite piece: Really the entire museum was my favorite piece. I enjoyed learning more about indigenous arts from the Amazon and their continuous struggles with protecting their homes and with that some of the world's most precious ecosystems. The hammocks that were part of this exhibit weren't bad either. I was equally intrigued by the way they presented art made by local indigenous people, giving them a voice, having them explain what artifacts signify for them, both historically and now. Objects have so much more meaning than a mere functional one for these people, a simple thing like a wooden spoon tells a story, passed on from generation to generation. Fascinating really. Can you tell I totally geeked out at MOA? :-)
Favorite moment: The interactive calligraphy wall in the Traces of Words exhibit. As you might have guess, I love anything interactive but this really blew me away. You touched a sign with your shadow on this giant video wall and it changed into a visual display of its meaning. I never wanted to leave.
0 comments:
Post a Comment