Most friends added something to the list that involved me doing something for myself, or at least something that they felt would be good for me. Not Maria, without hesitation, she put a Belgian waffle brunch on the list. Now you should know Maria doesn't bake or cook. In fact, ovens in her family are used for storage. Who knows what they use the waffle iron for. Either way, after two years my (limited) passion for cooking and baking is starting to return, so I felt the time was right to tackle waffles once more. Kerry actually got me the waffle iron for my birthday three years ago. I still remember how nervous he was because it had to be just perfect. Instead of getting me one present, he got me lots, just to make sure he would at least get it right with one of them. I loved every single one of them - surprise. I think my favourite part was actually the lunch bag he got me: it was purple (my favourite colour), rectangular (because I kept complaining about never being able to squeeze food containers into my round lunch bag) and filled with a box of lemon poppyseed muffins. Well actually only the muffin tops, because that was my favourite part of the muffin. Kerry would always take one for the team and eat the bottom. Anyway, back to waffles. I never really had people over since having my own place here in Canada, not in New West, not here in East Van. So this was a nice little push to start having people over more often. Luckily I have an amazing landlady who lets me use her patio furniture and backyard for any food related activities, especially when she is invited. So one Sunday morning I got up at 7 am and started baking waffles, not one kind, not two but three different kinds! Gluten free, gluten and dairy free and the regular fatty kind. That's what you get when you forget to take into account people's dietary restrictions before inviting them. Somehow they all turned out to be a great success. I also made a chocolate spread with dates and coconut whipped cream. There were strawberries, blueberries, syrup, more chocolate sauce and of course coffee with Baileys. Definitely will do this again, pancakes and bacon next time?
| Lovely ladies and delicious waffles make for perfect Sundays |

0 comments:
Post a Comment