#71 Grow something from scratch

My mom is a gardener. My brother is a gardener. Really most of my family likes to putter in the garden. Me? Not so much. Don't quite have the patience for it. Or so I thought! When my mom sent me some spinach seeds I decided to give it a go. Bought some extra fancy potting soil, made my own funny mix of fertilizer (coffee grounds, banana peel and egg shells - gross!) and carefully planted every single seed approximately 7 cm apart. Lots of googling and 'mom, how do I do this' was involved in this process. But it worked! Every day I would check on my cute little plants in the morning and the evening and get stoked when they got bigger, inch by inch. Unfortunately the neighbour's cat (or a local raccoon) wanted to try some spinach too and ripped a lot of my little plants out, getting me rather upset. so upset I bought some chicken wire the next day and built a fort around my spinach plants. The surviving plants continued to grow and I have to admit, I'm loving it. They taste so good I just eat them like that because I don't want to waste them in a smoothie. I think I may have found a little green thumb, because I'm already working on a sweet pepper plant and counting down to the second half of August when I can plant a new batch of spinach. Hurray! 

1 comment:

  1. I think You may have found a little green thumb, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete